Saturday, June 21, 2008

Twenty Years Ago Today. . . Steve Winwood

Now my life has changed and now my eyes can see
Now I'm living on the morning side
Now I'm letting all the sunlight into me
Now I'm free

And I know I'll never pass that way again
That dark journey to the morning side
On the morning side I feel my life begin
Let's begin

         -Steve Winwood The Morning Side from Roll With it (1988)

Remember the days when TV was filled with Michelob commercials featuring the likes of Phil Collins, Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood? Those were the days when music was ruled by class A musicians, usually associated with the Princes Trust. I first heard Winwood from the 1986 Back in the High Life album (probably with a little help from 21 Jump Street). It was the first complete album I was fascinated with from a musical point of view. So, in the summer of 1988, I was excited by Winwood's next release, Roll With It. I remember being in Chicago the week after the album's release, and Winwood's face was plastered on every block, while the radio constantly played cuts from this masterpiece. I considered going to see his performance at Riverfest on July 15th, while friends suggested I check out Sting on July 11th. I didn't make it to either show - a regret of mine. Only a month later, I would listen to The Police and hear Sting truly for the first time, and my interest in music would not slow down after that.

I often forget about this record, and then I take a listen and I'm always struck by what an awesome work it is. Synth-driven pop, with Winwood's early R&B influence. It's one of those great "night" albums, chronicling a night of celebrating life, with its explicit imagery of night and morning. Holding On and The Morning Side are possibly the best songs of Winwood's career. The album as a whole belongs on any list of classic albums, exemplifying the magic found in what I think was the high point in music history, 1988-1992.

No comments: